I have very few food aversions, but I was never able to stomach plain bananas. I love the idea of them... but banana bread was about as far as I could go with a banana... Until, that is, until I tried caramelizing them. Pairing them up with macadamia nut ice cream makes for a wicked combination. It's great as just this, or with a few little extra garnishes it makes an incredible sundae! —darksideofthespoon
- Serves 4 with leftover ice cream
- Macadamia Nut Ice Cream
macadamia nuts, whole
1 1/2 cups
vanilla bean, without seeds
large egg yolks
dark or white chocolate shavings (optional)
- Caramelized Bananas
bananas, split lengthwise
dark brown sugar
toased & chopped macadamia nuts for garnish (optional)
chocolate or caramel sauce (optional)
other garnishes, like fresh strawberries, shortbread, boozey cherries (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F and toast the macadamia nuts until golden brown.. around 5-6 minutes.
- On medium heat, bring the heavy cream, half the sugar and vanilla bean to just below a simmer.
- Blend the toasted macadamia nuts with 1 1/2 cups of milk in a blender until fairly smooth.. Add the macadamia nut milk into the cream and bring back up to just below a simmer.
- Whisk egg yolks with the other half of sugar and temper into the cream. Stir until this coats the back of a spoon, strain and cool.
- Once the custard is cooled, add into your ice cream maker and churn until it's thick. At this point you can leave it plain or stir in dark or white chocolate shavings. Freeze for 3-4 hours or overnight.
- Once the ice cream is ready to serve, preheat your oven to 400. On tinfoil, lay the halved banana's and sprinkle with dark brown sugar (white will do in a pinch). Bake until the sugar is bubbling and the bananas are soft and caramelized... switch up your oven to broil if need be, this will get the job finished quickly.
- Wait until the banana is warm (not hot!) and serve it accompanied with a generous scoop of ice cream and whatever other garnishes you want; such as chocolate sauce or caramel, shortbread, strawberries and macadamia nuts for garnish.