If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A blend of all things my mom loves--toasted coconut, orange zest, and dark chocolate in a frozen scoop of goodness! —mkate72 @ pbpickles
Makes: 1 quart
cups half & half
cup heavy cream
cup granulated sugar
cup cocoa powder, sifted
tablespoon corn syrup
pinches table salt
Zest & juice of one orange, seperated
tablespoons cream cheese
teaspoon coconut extract
cup toasted coconut
ounces chopped dark chocolate
- Combine 1/4 c. half & half and all of the cornstarch in a small bowl and set aside.
- Mix the sifted cocoa and sugar in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large sauce pan or pot whisk together the remaining half & half, cream, and sugar/cocoa mixture. Once combined whisk in corn syrup, salt, and orange zest.
- Heat over medium heat until simmering. Don’t let it reach a full rolling boil. Stir for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the cornstarch mixture and stir constantly for 2-3 minutes until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove 1/2 c. of the hot milk mixture and pour over the cream cheese. Whisk until the cream cheese has melted and thickened the milk.
- Add the cream cheese mixture back to the heated milk, add the orange juice, and whisk to combine.
- Take a gallon size plastic bag and line a bowl or food storage container with it. This will help keep structure to the bag. Pour the hot liquid into the bag and seal; trying to eliminate as much as from inside the bag as you can.
- Remove the bag from the container and set in an ice bath for 20-30 minutes to chill the mixture.
- Once cooled, pour the liquid into your ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- In the last 5 minutes of processing, add in the coconut and chopped chocolate.
- Scoop into a container and chill the ice cream in the freezer until fully set.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Frozen Dessert
More Great Recipes:
Ice Cream/Frozen Desserts