Author Notes: Rhubarb is a classic fruit for a fool; its sweet and sour taste has herbal notes of the garden, and this makes a pleasant contrast to the sweet, rich whipped cream. (This recipe is from Bakeless Sweets by Faith Durand.) —Faith Durand
- 1/2 pound pound rhubarb stalks, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 cup hulled and chopped strawberries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 long strips lemon peel
- 1 cup cream, chilled
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Mix the rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, and 1/4 cup water in a saucepan with the lemon peel. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes, or until the rhubarb has just begun to soften. Transfer to another bowl and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or until quite cold.
- Whip the cream with the sugar and vanilla until soft peaks form and the cream has doubled in volume. Fold about 2/3 of the compote into the cream. Divide among 4 glasses or dessert bowls and chill for an hour, or until serving. Top each dish with the remaining compote before serving.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!