Author Notes: These hard South African biscuits are reminiscent of Italian biscotti, and are perfect to serve along side a steaming cup of coffee or tea. What makes them a great road trip snack is the fact that they are designed to be a long lasting treat that withstands the test of time! It's simple really... Dunk and eat! —Foodie First Student Later
Makes: 50 individual balls or 25 double ball portions
cups Rye Flour
cups All Purpose Flour
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Using your fingers, pastry cutter, or food processor, blend the butter into the flour mixture.
- Make a well in the center of the flour and butter mixture. Add the egg and butter milk and knead to form a dough.
- Form into 1 inch diameter balls and place together tightly into a 8x8 baking dish.
- Bake at 180 C (350 F) for 45 minutes.
- Allow to cool until it can be worked with your hands. Break them apart into either individual balls or 2 balls.
- Allow to oven dry over night at 100 C (212 F). Store in a tin and enjoy!