If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These hard South African biscuits are reminiscent of Italian biscotti, and are perfect to serve along side a steaming cup of coffee or tea. What makes them a great road trip snack is the fact that they are designed to be a long lasting treat that withstands the test of time! It's simple really... Dunk and eat! —Foodie First Student Later
Makes 50 individual balls or 25 double ball portions
- 2 cups Rye Flour
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Egg
- 2/3 cup Buttermilk
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Using your fingers, pastry cutter, or food processor, blend the butter into the flour mixture.
- Make a well in the center of the flour and butter mixture. Add the egg and butter milk and knead to form a dough.
- Form into 1 inch diameter balls and place together tightly into a 8x8 baking dish.
- Bake at 180 C (350 F) for 45 minutes.
- Allow to cool until it can be worked with your hands. Break them apart into either individual balls or 2 balls.
- Allow to oven dry over night at 100 C (212 F). Store in a tin and enjoy!