If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I very minimally adapted two recipes for this galette, but thought both of them had something so special that I want to share it here. The pastry crust, from Cooking Light, uses cornmeal which gives it a pleasant crunch. The filling, from Laura Calder/Cooking Channel uses an entirely genius technique to keep the juices in the crust without tossing the fruit with copious amounts of flour. Read on for the secret. —Minimally Invasive
- 1 3/4 cups Cup4Cup flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- turbinado sugar, for dusting
- 1/2 cup ground almonds, lightly toasted
- 1 tablespoon Cup4Cup flour
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 2 pints strawberries, hulled and halved if large
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract, optional
- To prepare pastry crust, lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine flour and next 3 ingredients (through salt) in a food processor; pulse two times. Add butter to flour mixture; pulse 4 to 5 times or until mixture resembles coarse meal. With processor on, slowly add buttermilk through food chute; process just until dough forms a ball. Gently press dough into a 4-inch circle on plastic wrap; wrap tightly and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Unwrap dough and place on a sheet of parchment paper, dusting with flour if dough feels a little tacky to the touch. Cover with another sheet of parchment paper and roll dough into a 15-inch circle. Carefully peel off top piece of parchment and slide dough with bottom sheet of parchment onto a baking sheet.
- To prepare filling, whisk together almonds, Cup4Cup flour and 1/4 cup sugar. Spoon onto prepared pastry, leaving a 2-3-inch gap around the edges. Combine strawberries with 1 tablespoon of sugar, balsamic vinegar and optional almond extract, then spoon carefully onto the almond flour mixture.
- Using a bench scraper, carefully fold edges of pastry up and over the strawberry filling. If you see any rips, pinch to seal. Lightly sprinkle edges of dough with turbinado sugar.
- Bake at 350°F for 50 minutes to one hour, or until pastry is golden brown and strawberry juices are bubbling. Carefully slide galette still on parchment paper onto a rack. Cool to room temperature before serving.