Author Notes: I created this recipe in response to an invitation from Bon Appetit magazine to participate in their "Blog Envy Holiday Dessert Bake-Off." Since my blog is evolving from a good-food-cooked-at-home site to a good-food-you-can-eat-even-while-keeping-glucose-levels-under-control site, I decided to make a decadent-looking cookie that would be lower in carbs than the usual holiday treats. These babies are only 7 grams of carbohydrates apiece, and mighty yummy, too! —stephencooks
Makes: about 30 cookies.
cup no-calorie granulated sweetener, such as Splenda
cup cold butter, cut in 1/4" pieces
teaspoon almond extract
teaspoon ground cinnamon
cups almond meal/flour (such as Bob's Red Mill ground blanched almonds)
cups all-purpose flour
tablespoons ice water
tablespoons unsugared seedless raspberry jam (such as Polanar)
teaspoons powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350º. Place sweetener, salt, butter, almond extract, cinnamon, almond flour and all-purpose flour in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse repeatedly to incorporated butter with the meal. Do not overprocess.
- Add ice water and pulse briefly to combine.
- Place contents of the processor bowl into a one-gallon food storage bag. Knead for a few seconds to coalesce ingredients into a lump. Chill dough for 30 minutes in the freezer.
- Divide chilled dough into 4 equal portions. Place 3 portions back in the refrigerator.
- Roll remaining portion of dough between sheets of parchment paper to a thickness of about 1/8".
- Cut rolled dough with a cookie-cutter into 2" rounds.
- Using a steel spatula, transfer one-half of the 2" rounds to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Using mini-cookiecutters or a small knife, cut shapes from the center of remaining rounds. Remove shapes from rounds.
- Spread 1/4 teaspoon of the jam on each of the rounds on the baking sheet.
- Place one of the shape-removed rounds on each of the whole rounds on the baking sheet.
- Repeat steps 6 through 11 for each of the remaining portions of dough.
- Bake 15 minutes in the preheated 350º oven.
- Immediately after removing from oven, sift the powdered sugar over the cookies.
- Allow to cool thoroughly before removing from baking sheet.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Cookie