If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Weird name, huh?
Actually, I can't classify it. If someone out there with a good knowledge of food know which category it fits, let me know. For me, its somewhere in the middle of a salad (but not dressed), a snack, a crowd pleaser and maybe a chutney?
This is a common recipe here in Bangladesh. Every summer we make this one and share it with the family in one bowl. We put more chillies than we can take and more sugar and our eyes tear up and ears turn red! Some say the taste increases if you put this mango-salad type of thing in a cone made of banana leaf. I have not tried it because I live in the city, but I am sure it will be nice because of the natural oils of the leaf. Many Malay recipes use this leaf as we would use an aluminum foil for cooking.
Anyway, back to the recipe. I'm not sure what kind of mangoes you find in your supermarkets, but I hear mangoes from Philippines taste good. If not come to my home in April, I'll make you some! Nothing in the world can beat the seasonal mangoes and I know where to find the best kind!
Notes and tips:
- The sugar is not there to sweeten it like hell, its there to balance off and contrast that spice and tang. If the mangoes have a good taste, even if its tangy you will do fine.
-This recipe is versatile. Add or remove sugar/salt or chillies to your liking. You can swap the red chillies with green ones and add a some coriander leaves, some water and whazz it up in a liquidizer. Makes a nice summer drink.
- Things made of milk, like yogurt or cream is the best helper if you eat something too hot. Have a spoon full of one of those and it will ease the burning. and don't take beer!
- One really weird trick is to go to the toilet (you don't want anyone to see you do this). Say "AAAA" and lean over the sink as if you were washing your face. You will salivate, and let that out of your mouth, the burning feeling will go away. Its embarrassing but I accidentally chewed a chilli one day and it saved my life.
Makes a medium bowl
Unripe mangoes. Make sure they are not too tangy. Dont expect them to be too sweet either, just take what tastes nice.
Dried red chillies. One if you dont like it hot or more if you like.
pinch of salt
tablespoons White sugar
- Peel and grate the mangoes with a grater. Don't use the superfine grater used for lemon zests!
- Burn the dried red chillies on the stove. This gives it an amazing smokey flavor. You can char them, or use green chillies, but the flavor will be different. As long as the chilli is hot, it's good.
- Crunch the red chillies in the same bowl as the grated mangoes. Make some space between the mangoes with your finger and press the chillies downwards while holding the stalk. Chillies can cause skin irritation and a burning sensation, so you can use the back of a teaspoon. If using green chillies, just chop them. Put the other ingredients in the bowl, give it a mix, taste and adjust to your liking. Done!