Author Notes: A grain-free twist on an old favorite, this recipe uses cauliflower "rice" to create a healthy, hearty and tasty stew. —Phoenix Helix
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 pounds boneless chicken thighs (cut into cubes)
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 4 medium carrots (grated)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2-1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 cups chicken broth (ideally homemade)
- 2 large mangoes (peeled and cubed)
- 1 head cauliflower (cut into florets)
- 1 lime
- salt & pepper
- In a large soup pot, melt coconut oil over medium heat.
- Add the chicken and cook until browned on all sides. (You might need to brown the chicken in two batches. It’s okay if it’s not completely cooked, because it will cook more in later steps). With a slotted spoon, remove the browned chicken from the pan and set aside. Leave the chicken fat and juices in the pan.
- Add chopped onion to the soup pot and sauté 5 minutes.
- Add carrots, garlic and curry and sauté another 2 minutes.
- Return chicken to the pot and add broth and mangoes. Increase heat to a boil, then reduce heat, cover pan & simmer 15 minutes.
- Pulse cauliflower in food processor until it reaches a rice consistency. (You might need to pulse the cauliflower in 2 batches). Add cauliflower “rice” to soup pot & simmer a final 5 minutes.
- Juice the lime over the pot and stir to blend. Then add salt & pepper to taste.