Author Notes: I bought too many lemons and wanted to use some. Wandering in my small garden for inspiration, I discovered that the fresh herbs finally were growing. I used two different varieties of thyme. You could use Dijon mustard instead of yellow, but French's yellow mustard is my husband's favorite. With lemon juice and vinegar, this is healthier than my usual potato salad with a lot of mayonnaise. —Mamamel
large russet potatoes
yellow bell pepper
ribs of celery
large handful of fresh thyme
sprigs of fresh basil
sprigs of fresh parsley
lemons, zest and juice
cup rice vinegar
tablespoons yellow mustard
salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and cut potatoes into 1 inch chunks.
- Cook them in a saucepan of boiling salted water.
- Drain and let the potatoes cool.
- Dice the yellow pepper and slice the celery.
- Remove thyme from its stems. Chiffonade the basil and chop the parsley.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the lemon juice, sugar, rice vinegar, mayonnaise, and yellow mustard. Stir in the lemon zest.
- Taste this dressing and adjust the proportions to taste.
- Stir in the vegetables, breaking up a few pieces of potato.
- Season with salt and pepper. Fold in the fresh herbs.
- Taste again and adjust the seasoning.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fresh Herbs