Author Notes: The first time I tried the combination of rosemary and dark chocolate at a local chocolate shop it was a revelation. The flavors go together beautifully! It inspired me to create this sauce based on the basic chocolate sauce my grandmother makes. I especially love to pair with anything flavored by vanilla, cream, citrus, or berries, like angel food cake, ice cream, fresh berries, and panna cotta. —Chris Van Houten
Makes: about 2 cups
sprigs fresh rosemary
cup cocoa powder
cup whole milk
cup heavy cream
- Bring milk and rosemary to boil in medium saucepan. Remove from heat and allow rosemary to steep in hot milk for 5 minutes.
- Stir in cocoa, sugar, cornstarch, and cream until combined. Return to medium heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens. Remove from heat. Remove rosemary.
- While sauce is still hot, add butter and vanilla. Stir until smooth.
- Cover and refrigerate the sauce. Reheat before serving with your favorite dessert.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fresh Herbs