Author Notes: This is another tradition in my family for Christmas. I use pinenuts and golden raisins because in Portugal these are the ingredients most traditional in Christmas. But you can add other candied fruits or different nuts. —Maria Teresa Jorge
Serves: 30 cookies
ounces butter at room temperature
ounces all purpose flour
teaspoon baking powder
whole egg at room temperature
ounce golden raisins
- Beat the sugar with the butter until pale and fluffly.
- Scrape down the sides and bottom and add the lightly beaten egg until very fluffy and light.
- Sift the flour with the baking powder and the salt and add to the mixture.
- Scrape down the sides and add the pinenuts and the golden raisins, beat to divide well in dough. At this point the dough should come together in a ball.
- Chill for 20 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350ºF with rack in the middle. Line 2 baking trays with parchment paper.
- Make little balls of dough and roll them in the palms of your hands. Put the cookies on the lined trays, 1 inch apart and bake until golden brown.
- Allow to cool on the baking tray and store in an air tight container.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Cookie