If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Kadaifi, a simplified Family recipe for a Greek dessert, filled with nuts and sugar syrup flavored with cinnamon and lemon.
?y mother had inherited the recipe from an uncle who had a bakery. The recipe was simplified over the years because the way uncle was making the syrup for dessert was time consuming, difficult and doubtful success every time. So amended and became an easy recipe, with guaranteed results, without compromising on taste of the old recipe. —mookies
Makes 24-26 pieces
For the Kantaifi
walnuts, coarsely chopped
zest of one large lemon
- Divide kantaifi with the fingers very well, do not let knots, and leave it spread on a surface for 20-30 minutes, until you prepare the filling.
- Cut into chunks or chopped the nuts in multy and mix well all the filling ingredients and set aside.
- Spread in pan (round, 30 cm) the half of kantaifi pastry. Trim on top the filling and spread evenly. On top of the filling spread the remaining half kantaifi. Melt the butter with margarine and pour over the cake evenly wet everywhere.
- Cover the pan with foil and place in preheated oven. Bake at 175 degrees for half an hour, then remove the foil and bake for another half hour. Kantaifi should be well browned, otherwise it becomes like mud when you put up the syrup.
For the syrup
cup corn syrup
zest of one lemon
- Shortly before removing the cake from the oven prepare the syrup. Boil all ingredients for the syrup for about 8 minutes and using a ladle pour the syrup over the cake just out of the ove. Both kantaifi and syrup should be hot.
- Allow the cake several hours to drink all the syrup and then remove to a platter. Do not cover it. to remain crisp.