Author Notes: Call me crazy, but I grew up eating mangoes on toast for breakfast during the summers every year. My family has this thing for pairing sweet and savory flavors together – not everybody likes it, I can tell you that! I guess its very similar to eating fruits with cheese - just like the French people. Its something about pairing the savory and sweet together – it somehow balances the flavors out. This recipe is inspired from my childhood breakfast —Pallavi Gupta
Makes: 8 crostini
cup balsamic vinegar
Ripe Mango, cut into bite size pieces
french baguette, cut into 1/4 inch slices
handfuls fresh basil leaves,
- Mix both ingredients in a non reactive metal pan.
- On medium low cook till the mixture reduces into a thick sauce. Let cool at room temperature.
- Toast the baguette in the oven for 2 minutes till the bread gets a little bite.
- Generously smear goat cheese on the baguette slices.
- Top the crostini with few pieces of mango.
- Drizzle the balsamic reduction and garnish the crostini with fresh basil leaves. Serve right away.