If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: With summertime in full swing it’s a perfect time to get fresh ingredients from your garden or the local farmer’s market. In South Louisiana we love to garden and luckily the supply of vegetable plants at the feed or hardware stores are extremely healthy. Putting those fresh picked veggies into fantastic recipes is fun and easy. This season the early harvest is basil and cherry tomatoes that together make a refreshing colorful salad. My sister and I at CleverCajun have seen many different recipes using similar ingredients but our favorite thing that sets this salad apart is fried Halloumi cheese. Halloumi is a dense white cheese made from sheep’s milk. It has a slight salty taste and very high melting point, which means when you cook it instead of melting it browns. —Cel Wise
Serves: 4-5 people
Fresh picked cherry tomatoes
Leaves of garden basil
teaspoons Extra virgin olive oil
teaspoons Balsamic vinegar
Block Halloumi cheese
Seasoning of your choice
- After washing, cut the tomatoes into halves and the basil into thin strips.
- Add the tomatos, basil strips, 1 tsp olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and seasoning to a bowl and mix thoroughly together. Allow to sit while preparing the Halloumi.
- Add 1 tsp olive oil to a heated skillet. Slice the Halloumi lengthwise into 1/4 inch slabs. Add slices of Halloumi to the skillet and allow to brown before flipping to the other side.
- Once cheese is golden brown, coarsly chop and add to salad.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Portable Side