Author Notes: This is a homey, easy summer dessert that doesn't heat up the kitchen. I made it in a small cast-iron skillet (the ones you use to fry one egg at a time). Double the recipe for a larger pan. —Laurie
cups fresh berries (strawberries and blueberries)
tablespoon sugar (optional, if fruit isn't sweet enough)
cup oatmeal (not quick-cooking)
cup sliced raw almonds
cup raw coconut flakes
cup all-purpose flour
cup dark brown sugar
tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and diced
- Preheat gas grill to medium-high
- Trim and quarter strawberries and put in 6" cast-iron skillet along with blueberries. Sprinkle with sugar if using.
- Mix all dry topping ingredients together then add butter and work in with fingertips until incorporated and pea-sized.
- Spoon topping over fruit pressing down lightly to fit (the berries shrink during cooking and you want lots of crunchy crust). You may have a little left over.
- Place on grill rack and put cover down. Check after 10 minutes. Fruit should be bubbly and crust browned - anywhere from 10-20 minutes depending on your grill. Be careful removing - handle will be scorching hot.
- Let rest for at least 15 minutes then serve with vanilla ice cream, plain greek yogurt, whipped cream or straight up.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Berry Recipe