If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a homey, easy summer dessert that doesn't heat up the kitchen. I made it in a small cast-iron skillet (the ones you use to fry one egg at a time). Double the recipe for a larger pan. —Laurie
- 2 cups fresh berries (strawberries and blueberries)
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional, if fruit isn't sweet enough)
- 1/4 cup oatmeal (not quick-cooking)
- 1/4 cup sliced raw almonds
- 1/4 cup raw coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- Pinch kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and diced
- Preheat gas grill to medium-high
- Trim and quarter strawberries and put in 6" cast-iron skillet along with blueberries. Sprinkle with sugar if using.
- Mix all dry topping ingredients together then add butter and work in with fingertips until incorporated and pea-sized.
- Spoon topping over fruit pressing down lightly to fit (the berries shrink during cooking and you want lots of crunchy crust). You may have a little left over.
- Place on grill rack and put cover down. Check after 10 minutes. Fruit should be bubbly and crust browned - anywhere from 10-20 minutes depending on your grill. Be careful removing - handle will be scorching hot.
- Let rest for at least 15 minutes then serve with vanilla ice cream, plain greek yogurt, whipped cream or straight up.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Berry Recipe