If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A couple of times a week, I manage to eat every last granola bar/energy bar in my office after my workout. My favorites are the Cherry Pie LARABARs and these groovy chocolate-coconut energy snacks my labmate gets at her local co-op (FYI, we share the stash and replenish as we gobble. I'm not the jerk who secretly eats everyone's lunches). Here, I have combined the two into a yummy homemade snack to share! They are a nice snack before or after a workout and keep well in the freezer and refrigerator. They are also a nice way to ease yourself off of all the sweets you've consumed over the holidays, while also getting a little fiber back into your system :) —Abbie C
Makes 8 bars
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 20 pitted dates (medjool dates work well)
- 1/4 cup dried tart cherries
- 1-2 tablespoons Coarse ground flax seeds (optional)
- Pulse the almonds, cocoa powder, flax, and shredded coconut in a food processor until the almonds are chopped into small pieces. The mixture will look like gravel and it is okay if a few relatively large pieces of almond still remain.
- Add the dates, several at a time, to the almond mixture and pulse until they are incorporated into a mixture that sticks together when pressed between your fingers. If your dates are a little dry, you can add a tablespoon of water to moisten the mixture a little, but don't overdo it.
- Add the cherries and pulse until they are mixed in and roughly chopped.
- Firmly press this mixture into an 8" x 8" pan lined with parchment paper and put into the freezer for about 15 minutes to firm up.
- Cut into 8 bars and store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegan Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Coconut
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Restorative Recipes