Author Notes: A couple of times a week, I manage to eat every last granola bar/energy bar in my office after my workout. My favorites are the Cherry Pie LARABARs and these groovy chocolate-coconut energy snacks my labmate gets at her local co-op (FYI, we share the stash and replenish as we gobble. I'm not the jerk who secretly eats everyone's lunches). Here, I have combined the two into a yummy homemade snack to share! They are a nice snack before or after a workout and keep well in the freezer and refrigerator. They are also a nice way to ease yourself off of all the sweets you've consumed over the holidays, while also getting a little fiber back into your system :) —Abbie C
Makes: 8 bars
cup raw almonds
tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
cup unsweetened shredded coconut
pitted dates (medjool dates work well)
cup dried tart cherries
tablespoons Coarse ground flax seeds (optional)
- Pulse the almonds, cocoa powder, flax, and shredded coconut in a food processor until the almonds are chopped into small pieces. The mixture will look like gravel and it is okay if a few relatively large pieces of almond still remain.
- Add the dates, several at a time, to the almond mixture and pulse until they are incorporated into a mixture that sticks together when pressed between your fingers. If your dates are a little dry, you can add a tablespoon of water to moisten the mixture a little, but don't overdo it.
- Add the cherries and pulse until they are mixed in and roughly chopped.
- Firmly press this mixture into an 8" x 8" pan lined with parchment paper and put into the freezer for about 15 minutes to firm up.
- Cut into 8 bars and store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegan Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Coconut
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Restorative Recipes