- Makes about 20
These gluten-free and nut-free multi-seed crackers are almost too easy to make: no kneading or leavening needed. Just stir the ingredients together, flatten the mixture out on a tray, and bake. You will end up with delicious crispy crackers that are great with any of the spreads in this chapter. If you can’t find hemp seeds, increase the amount of sunflower seeds and if you like your seeds natural, omit the orange juice and honey. —Green Kitchen Stories
flax seeds, ground
amaranth flour (or quinoa flour or almond flour)
1 1/2 teaspoons
freshly squeezed orange juice
- Preheat the oven to 300° F.
- Combine all the seeds in a medium bowl.
- Scoop out about a quarter of the seeds and reserve for topping.
- Add flour, salt, and olive oil to the bowl with 1 1/4 cups water. Using a wooden spoon, stir to combine. You should have a loose batter. If it is not loose enough, add some more water; it will evaporate as you bake the crackers.
- Pour the batter over the paper on each pan, dividing evenly. Use a spatula to spread the batter as thinly as you can.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the honey and orange juice in a small bowl.
- Remove the trays from the oven, brush the crackers with the orange glaze, and sprinkle with the remaining seeds.
- Cut into 2-inch pieces and bake for 30 minutes more, or until they are crunchy. Cool on a wire rack.