Admittedly Fussy Grain Free, Sugar Free Granola
August 6, 2013
- Makes 4 cups
A grain free, sweetener free "granola". Inspired by all the roasted chickpea recipes, I thought about using lentils, which have similar dimensions to oats. The result? A fussy, time consuming recipe. However, active time is minimal. —happymontycooks
What You'll Need
lentils (I used a mix of lentils but you can use all of one kind)
- Soak lentils in water for at least 12 hours preferably 24 hours.
- Drain lentils and pat dry. You want the lentils as dry as possible. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Puree bananas (no lumps) and add in cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and cardamom.
- Place the nuts and coconut in a bowl. Drizzle a couple of tablespoons of banana puree onto the nuts and coconut. Stir until the nuts and coconuts are covered with banana puree.
- Place the drained and dried lentils in another bowl and pour the rest of the banana puree. Mix thoroughly.
- Pour the lentils onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for about 35 minutes, stirring frequently, being careful the lentils do not burn.
- Take the baking sheet out of the oven and mix in the nuts/coconut mixture. Return to the oven for a quick roast-- about 10 minutes, making sure the nuts do not burn.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely. Mix in dried fruit.
- Serve as you would any granola-- over yogurt, with milk, or by the handful. The taste is reminiscent of banana bread.
See what other Food52ers are saying.