If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I've tried this salad with many additions, vinegars, lemon, cheeses,arugula, corn, cucumbers, honey dew, grilled shrimp and lobster etc. But I always crave it in it's simplest form where the dressing is the herbed watermelon and tomato juices and oil, two strong herbs that seem to fit well together and the contrast in sweetness, texture and temperature between the tomatoes and watermelon.
This never fails to remind me why I like summer so much. —David
- 8 1/2" thick slices heirloom tomatoes
- 4 cups 1" chunked or sliced heirloom tomatoes or cherry tomatoes or combination of
- 4 cups watermelon, seeded, and cut into 1" cubes
- 1/2 cup fresh basil (chiffonade)
- 1/2 cup fresh mint (chiffonade)
- 3/4 cup EVOO (best quality)
- sea salt to taste
- This recipes requires your sweetest summer tomatoes. For some that may mean cherry tomatoes. Sometimes the perceived sweetness of tomatoes can be as much about lower acidity as higher sugar. The pink and yellow varieties usually have lower acidity than the bright red ones. In my area ripe Bradley tomatoes do very well in this recipe. A variety of sizes and colors adds visual appeal but sweetness is most important. Depending on the size of cherry and smaller tomatoes you may choose to cut them in half or not. Cut larger tomatoes into 1" chunks or wedges. Toss tomatoes with salt, EVOO and half of the basil. Cover and let sit out at room temp.
- Cut the watermelon into 1" cubes and toss with half of the mint. cover and refrigerate until very cold. (1-3 hours) Show extra care when slicing the tomatoes and watermelon to save every drop of juice.
- To serve cut the 8 slices in half and arrange 4 half slices with the curved edges towards the outside of the plate framing a square on the plate. Gently mix the watermelon and tomatoes together adjusting for salt. Fill the 4 frames with tomato watermelon mixture. Sprinkle the remaining herbs over each salad.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for A&M Smackdown / Your Best Tomato Recipe