If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: There are many versions of this quintessential New Orleans sandwich, and this vegetarian one I have created is as satisfying and delicious as the non-vegetarian versions. I think the trick to these is the sautéed mushrooms and the smoked cheddar cheese. —The Cautious Vegetarian
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups crimini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Italian parsley, minced
- 1 cup olives, (any kind you prefer)
- 6 oil packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 slices smoked cheddar cheese
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 4 soft-crusted sourdough buns
- Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over high heat. When hot add the mushrooms. Reduce the heat to medium. Season the mushrooms with salt and pepper and sauté until brown and tender, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic and sauté for another minute or so. Remove from the heat and place the mushrooms into a small heat-proof bowl. Add the lemon juice and parsley. Set aside.
- Pit the olives and place them on your cutting board. Top with the capers and sun-dried tomatoes. Using a mezzaluna (if you have one, or your knife) coarsely chop the olive mixture. You could blitz this in your processor if you want, just make sure it is coarse. Place the mixture into a small bowl, stir in the lemon juice and set aside for about 30 minutes for flavours to blend.
- Make the sandwiches by layering the olives, the mushrooms, the smoked cheddar and then the provolone cheese onto the buns. Serve immediately.
More Great Recipes: