If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Peaches with blueberries, rhubarb with strawberries and apples with blackberries…all fruit combinations I think are delicious together. This cake is really easy to make and excellent with an afternoon cup of tea…especially when one needs a reprieve from a hectic day. —The Cautious Vegetarian
Blackberry Apple Mixture
- 1 cup blackberries
- 1 large apple, peeled and cubed (I used golden delicious)
- juice from 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- grated rind from 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Butter an 8 inch round cake pan or shallow casserole dish.
- Place the blackberries and apple cubes into the prepared pan. Pour over the lemon juice, sprinkle with the sugar. Set aside.
- In a small bowl mix together the flour, baking powder and salt. In a large bowl cream the butter and sugar until well combined. Beat in the egg. On slow speed, beat in half the flour mixture, the milk and then the remaining flour. Add the lemon rind and mix well.
- Scrape over the blackberry apple mixture. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Serve warm with frozen yogurt or ice-cream.