Author Notes: I like my brownies naked…no nuts, chocolate chips or dried cherries in mine thank you very much. This is my all-time favourite brownie recipe; these babies are dense and ultra-chocolaty! As a bonus, they are also really easy to make. Don’t be tempted to add a bit of baking powder, brownies are supposed to be dense, not cake-like; the eggs will give these delectable treats enough lift. I like to serve them alongside strawberries or raspberries...that way I can convince myself they are actually good for me! —The Cautious Vegetarian
ounces semi-sweet chocolate
cup all-purpose flour
teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Butter a 9 inch square baking pan. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- n a heavy saucepan, over very low heat, melt the chocolate and the butter together. Cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, sift the flour and salt together, set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk together the sugar and the eggs. Whisk until they are just mixed, don’t over-beat the mixture. That’s the trick to getting brownies that have a crackled top. Whisk in the vanilla bean paste. Stir in the melted chocolate.
- Add the flour mixture. Stir to mix. Turn into the prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven, cool (if you can wait that long) and indulge!