If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Make this margarita with pureed watermelon juice (alternatively use a juicer). Add lime for citrus and tart. Use your favorite tequila and serve over ice in a classic margarita glass complete with salty rim. Salud. —geli
Makes a pitcher
- 1 Watermelon (makes about a pitcher of puree/juice)
- 4-6 Limes
- 1-2 tablespoons Agave Nectar
- Your favorite tequila (my go-to is Cazadores)
- Margarita Salt
- Ice Cubes (for serving in glasses)
- For this recipe you will need a blender (or juicer), fine mesh strainer, cocktail shaker, pitcher. If you have a juicer, skip down a couple of steps. When I originally wrote this recipe I did not own a juicer.
- Make the watermelon puree/juice (do this ahead of time to allow watermelon juice to chill and flavors to work their magic). You probably have to do this in batches if you're doing an entire watermelon. Render the insides of the watermelon and put in blender. Blend the watermelon well until it's very smooth. Pour the watermelon puree over a strainer into a pitcher. Work a spoon into the pulp collecting on the strainer so the juice drains more quickly. Repeat this until you're out of watermelon or your pitcher is full.
- Add agave nectar to the pitcher and stir to blend. The amount you add will depend on your taste and sweetness of the watermelon. Personally I like to taste my tequila so I minimize sweetness. On average a couple tablespoons of agave nectar wouldn't hurt.
- Cut limes and squeeze juice into the pitcher. Throw about half of the used rinds into the pitcher. The amount you add will depend on your taste. I like a hint of sour and for a pitcher I'll add about 4 limes.
- Let the pitcher chill for at least a couple of hours. This will optimize refresca-ness and allow flavors to do their thing.
- Now fix up a drink. Salt glasses to your liking. Put a few cubes of ice in each glass. The watermelon juice will have stratified (if you used blender method most likely you have some pulp that will separate from juice) so give it a stir with a long spoon. To the shaker, add several ice cubes, then add a 1:2 ratio of tequila:watermelon juice. Shake shake shake. Pour into glasses over ice cubes. Repeat this step until everyone is served. Salud!