Author Notes: Chutney sandwiches are omnipresent at every other street corner in Bombay. Vendors set up small handcarts with an array of intricately cut veggies, chutney and white bread. The aroma of freshly ground chutney and seasonings was always irresistible to me. Reminiscing makes me recreate my mid morning snack! —nykavi
- 4 White bread slices preferably Pepperidge Farm
- 1 Vine ripened Tomato
- 1/2 seedless Cucumber
- dashes Kosher Salt
- dashes Black Pepper
- 3 tablespoons grated fresh Coconut
- 1 Thai Bird Chili
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Sugar
- 3 tablespoons Lime Juice
- 1 cup Cilantro Leaves ( no stems)
- Wash the cilantro leaves. Let the residual moisture stay on the leaves. In other words , don't dry the leaves.
- Cut the chile into 1/4 inch pieces
- Place cilantro, chile, grated coconut, salt , sugar and lime juice in a blender. You could use a small food processor.
- Blend or process till you have a smooth paste. You might have to add a few drops of water.
- Cut tomato into 1/4 inch thick slices
- Cut cucumber into fairly thin slices.
- Pair bread slices on a board and butter them.
- Take a teaspoon of chutney and generously slather the bread slices.
- Top one side with tomato slices and season.
- Place cucumber slices and seasont again.
- Cover with a chutney- coated bread slice. Press down lightly . Cut in half diagonally and take a hearty bite!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spicy Recipe
More Great Recipes: Sandwiches