Author Notes: When life gives you limes, make this sweet and tangy key lime pie!
Filling borrowed from Cook's Illustrated with an original, key lime graham cracker crust. —Julia
Makes: 1 pie
Key Lime Crust
cups graham cracker crumbs
cups brown sugar
tablespoons melted butter
tablespoons key lime zest
Key Lime Filling
tablespoons lime zest (from 4 key limes)
cups lime juice
can sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat your oven to 350º F.
- Start by combining graham cracker crumbs, brown sugar, zest and melted butter in a large bowl until it sticks together like wet sand.
- Spray the bottom of a 9-inch pie plate with your preferred baking spray and pack your crust into the pie plate until it’s densely and compactly situated. Bake for about 10-minutes or until it’s looking golden and the smells start wafting. Set aside crust to cool, but don't turn off our oven.
- For your filling, whisk together 4 egg yolks for about two minutes. Add your lime zest and continue whisking until your mixture is a pale green.
- Whisk in your lime juice and condensed milk until your filling starts to thicken. Let rest for at least 20-minutes at room temperature, giving the filling adequate time to firm up. Pour filling into the cooled pie crust and return it to your 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until the center of your pie is firm.
- Let your pie rest until it reaches room temperature and then place in the fridge to chill (can be made up to a day in advance).
- Slice & serve chilled with a dollop of whipped cream and a slice of lime!