If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is my chili and my husband thinks it’s the best! He does not, however, share my enthusiasm for chili ladled over spaghetti. I discovered this as a 6-year-old child traveling to Florida on our family’s annual winter trek. We stopped at a drive-in called Steak ’n’ Shake, whose house specialty was chili spaghetti. We were hooked and returned year after year. —ChristineQ
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 ground beef
- 2 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons New Mexican chili powder
- 1/3 cup ancho chili powder
- 1/3 cup California chili powder
- 2 teaspoons each brown sugar, Mexican oregano, salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes, drained
- 2 (15.5-ounce) cans each- pinto beans, small kidney beans and small red beans.
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle dark beer
- 1 canned chipotle pepper, chopped, plus 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 3 cups cups chicken stock and beef stock
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- To prepare the chili, heat oil over high heat in a Dutch oven or large pot. Once shimmering, add ground beef and cook, without stirring, 1 minute. Lower heat to medium.
- Add onions and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened, about 2 minutes. Add bell peppers and jalapeños, stirring occasionally, 3–4 minutes. Stir in cumin, chili powders, sugar, salt, oregano, and bay leaf. Cook for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, beans, soy sauce, beer, chipotle, chicken stock, beef stock, and tomato paste. Bring to a boil and simmer, uncovered, 3 hours.
- To prepare the pasta, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta until al dente. Drain in a colander.
- To serve the chili, ladle over spaghetti in large shallow bowls and top with Parmesan cheese.