If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a Spanish-styled riff on the Mexican albondigas soup made with ground lamb and seasoned in the basque style of pincho moruno with toasted cumin, smoked paprika, garlic and cayenne. In early autumn, add some late summer peppers or summer squash from the garden. As autumn sets in, potatoes or pumpkin are a welcome addition. It's a simple, warming supper for an early autumn evening when you're not quite ready to say farewell to summer. —bonbonmarie
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed, ground
- 1 tablespoon whole cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon oregano, dry
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups homemade or other good quality chicken stock
- 15 ounces can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons extra virgen olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne, or less, to taste
- 1 cup early autumn garden vegetable, such summer squash, pumpkin. new potato, or sweet peppers
- 1/2 small green cabbage, shredded
- Mix flaxseed with 1T water and set aside until thickened.
- Toast cumin seed in a dry cast iron pan. Remove from heat, cool and grind in a mortar.
- Mix ground lamb together with 1T paprika, cumin, 1t salt, pepper to taste, 2 cloves minced garlic, flaxseed/water mixture, oregano, and half of the minced onion. Form into balls and set aside
- Saute remaining half minced onion and 1 clove minced garlic in a large pot with olive oil, to soften. Add 1T paprika and combine. Add tomatoes, chicken stock, water, salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a gentle boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, and carefully add meatballs.
- Prepare vegetables by slicing 1/2" pieces or cubes, and add to soup with meatballs after it's been simmering about 10 minutes.
- Allow to simmer for about 10 minutes longer, so the meat cooks through and imparts flavor to the broth and the vegetables are tender.
- Place some shredded cabbage at the bottom of each bowl and ladle the soup and meatballs over the top. Aprovecha!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Autumn Soup