If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This soup came about with the request from a friend to make a soup that would compliment Chicken Apple Sausage. The truth is it is another easy conversion to vegan by leaving out the sausage and switching stock. —David
- 2 cups rutabaga, peeled 1/2" dice
- 2 cups butternut squash, peeled 1" pieces
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 teaspoon Ras El Hanout (or curry powder)
- 8 ounces red lentils
- 1 14.5 oz. can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 2 cups kale, coarsely chopped, packed
- 2 cups sweet peeled apple(mcintosh, gala, fuji etc.), 1/2" diced
- 4 chicken apple sausages previously cooked, browned and sliced 1/4"
- Toss rutabaga and butternut squash with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast until tender (20 minutes) in 400 oven
- In soup pot add remaining olive oil and add onion. Cook until soft. Add Ras El Hanout, stir, add Lentils and stir, add tomatoes, stock, and kale and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add rutabaga and squash to stck pot. Add apples and sausage and simmer 5 more minutes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Autumn Soup
More Great Recipes: Soups