Author Notes: I am always up for a fight, especially when it involves food. So when a colleague suggested that meat had no taste, I argued...and then grew silent. Then he mentioned his love for Chilli sin carne, him being a vegetarian and all and this was born. I'll warn you up front, this is a useful one to have in the bag. The children LOVE it on pasta, it goes great with rice....is delicious in a grill lasagne and even works as a filling in a Cheat's ravioli.....it is not one to be trifled with. —Kitchen Butterfly
Prep time: 30 min
Cook time: 35 min
cup vegetable oil
onion, thinly sliced
teaspoon coriander seeds, dry roasted and crushed
teaspoon cumin seeds, dry roasted and crushed
teaspoon tomato puree
milliliters passata or sieved tomato sauce
garlic, minced or chopped in small bits
milliliters vegetable stock (or made up with a stock cube and water)
kidney beans (from a tin, rinsed and drained)
white beans e.g cannellini (from a tin, rinsed and drained)
teaspoons granulated sugar
, to taste
Salt and pepper,
- Heat oil in a pan on medium heat, and after a minute add sliced onions and a pinch of salt. Stir and let cook slowly till the onions begin to take on colour, about 5 minutes.
- Add the crushed coriander and cumin seeds and the tomato puree. Let cook for a minute or two, stirring all the time and then add the passata, garlic, paprika, stock, beans, sugar and chili pepper (if using).
- Let stew slowly on low heat for 20 minutes, stirring now and again. Taste and adjust seasoning as you desire.
- When ready, crush some beans using your cooking spoon to thicken, if the sauce is too thin.
- While the sauce is cooking, boil some cannelloni. You can make 'assemble your own' in which the sauce is stuffed into fully cooked cannelloni shells once it's ready.
- You can cook the cannelloni till 5 minutes from ready, then fill with sauce, top with some cheese and bake at 180 deg C for 10 - 12 minutes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chili
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Beans
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pantry Pasta