Author Notes: Spoon Bread is high on my list of must-haves and—after much playing around-- this recipe is my favorite version of the dish, a rich and succulent corny cross between a pudding and a souffle. In summer, I use garden-fresh kernels right off the cob, but in reality, the result using thawed frozen corn tastes divine and virtually the same.
As spoon bread goes well with everything grilled, broiled, baked or roasted ---whether meat, fish or poultry---this ultimately satisfying updated comfort food is my go-to side dish in winter as well as summer. And the handful of fresh herbs is always welcome, but especially in winter when I need reminding of summers past and summers to come. —Gail Monaghan
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons or a bit more kosher or other coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly group pepper
- 1 1/2 cups yellow corn meal (preferably stone ground)
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 7 eggs, well beaten
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 1/2 cups corn kernels (fresh or defrosted frozen is fine. Do not use canned)
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil, parsley, chives, tarragon or mixture
- Butter a baking pan, approximately 10x14 and set aside. Preheat the oven to 400F.
- In a heavy 2 quart saucepan, sauté the onion with the butter for 3 minutes or so. Add the garlic and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the onions begin to color. Add the water, salt and pepper and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Slowly add the cornmeal whisking to ensure that no lumps form. Cook, stirring constantly over low heat until very thick, about 3 minutes.
- Off the heat, add the buttermilk, then the eggs, then the cream, corn, and fresh herbs.
- Bake in the preheated oven about an hour or a bit more until the spoon bread is just set and the top has browned.
- Let rest about 10 minutes before serving. The dish can wait for up to an hour in a 140 degrees oven or be baked ahead and reheated at 350F.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Most Impressive Dinner Party Side