Author Notes: What’s this in your country? Pudding? Custard??Cream caramel? Flan? These are all very similar and made of almost the same ingredients. In japan, we call it “Purin”. I have Probably eaten more Purin than cookies in my life! I going to show you my mum’s Purin which is like brûlée style(caramelized on top). —Natsuko Kure
Serves: 6 cups
1 cup (240ml) heavy cream
2/3 cup (160ml) milk
4 egg yolks
2 Tablespoons Brown sugar, plus 1 Tablespoon for caramelizing
2 drops vanilla extract
1 teaspoon Grand Marnier (optional)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
- In a glass cup (or heat-resistant bowl), add heavy cream, milk, and brown sugar. Put the bowl into microwave, and heat for 1’30”min (500w). Remove the bowl from the microwave, and stir a little to dissolve the sugar.
- Add egg yolks, vanilla extract, and Grand Marnier. Stir well using a whisk.
- Sieve the egg mixture using tea strainer, and pour into a muffin pan*. Fill each cup with the egg mixture to just below the top. Cover with aluminum foil to avoid drying out.
- Place the muffin pan in a roasting pan half-filled with hot water. Bake it for 30-35min.
- After cooling the pudding to room temperature, remove the foil. Sprinkle brown sugar on top. Brown the surface using torch burner**.
- Serve chilled or flozen !!
- Additional Notes: *Of course, you can use 6 small ramekins instead. **A torch burner works best but, if you don’t have one, broil in the oven.