I'm not sure Quark is available in the United States.It is in Canada.It's not exactly cottage cheese.I think you can use thick Greek yoghurt.
I made a yogurt-hazelnut sauce but it is also nice with vanilla sauce or raspberry sauce —MarieGlobetrotter
- Serves 4
1 1/3 cups
Quark/very thick Greek yoghurt (1 cup)
ground pistachios or hazelnuts
2 1/2 tablespoons
- Yogurt Hazelnut sauce
- Drain the Quark/Greek yogurt.
- In a bowl, cream the butter, add the egg, semolina and flour. Combine well. Stir in the Quark until you get a thick batter. Set in the fridge for an hour.
- For the sauce, just stir all the ingredients together. Adjust the taste (I like it with a strong hazelnut taste)
- Wash the apricots. With a knife cut the apricots to the middle but NOT in two. Carefully remove the kernels. Replace the kernels with a sugar dice.
- Take the quark mixture out of the fridge. The batter should be quite sticky but if is too sticky, add more flour. Cover your hands with flour and divide the Quark/flour batter into eight pieces/balls. Flatten each ball and wrap the batter around each apricot. Press well to make sure it sticks to the fruit.
- Bring a large bowl of slightly salted water to a boil. Gently plunge each Knödel into the water (use a skimmer) and cook for 12-15 minutes, or until they come to the surface.
- In a skillet on medium heat, melt the butter, then add the breadcrumbs, sugar, pistachios and cinnamon.
- Scoop the Knödel out of the water and immediately roll into the breadcrumb/pistachio mixtures. Put on individual plates and serve with the yogurt sauce.