If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Like made scientist in the kitchen we embarked on a mission to create a vegan cupcake with the same flavors we tasted on a finger liking non vegan cupcake. Just for the fun of it! and because we like to say: We can make that vegan! —May I have that recipe
- 3/4 cup cups UNSWEETENED almond milk
- 3 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1 cup stout beer
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 3/4 cup cups cocoa powder
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt or salt to taste
- 1/2 cup agave
- 2/3 cup plain non dairy yogurt
Filling, frosting and home made irish cream
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoons whiskey
- 1 1/2 cups plain vegan cream cheese alternative
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil at room temperature
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 7 tablespoons vegan irish cream or home made recipe follows
- 1 cup non-dairy coconut creamer
- 1/4 cup espresso or strong brewed coffee
- 2 1/2 tablespoons whiskey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line 18 muffin tins with foil liners and coat them with cooking spray
- TO MAKE THE VEGAN IRISH CREAM: Combine creamer and coffee in small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, whisk in whiskey and vanilla extract and set aside to cool. Refrigerate until ready to use (it will thicken as it cools). Shake well before using
- TO MAKE THE CUPCAKES: In a medium size bowl, combine almond milk and ground flax. Set aside Bring stout and coconut oil to simmer in a saucepan over medium heat. Add cocoa powder and whisk until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt
- Using an electric mixer, mix together flax mixture, non-dairy yogurt and agave at medium speed. Slowly pour in stout-chocolate mixture and mix until combined.
- Reduce speed to low, add flour mixture and mix until just combine ( do not overmix!)
- Fill liners about 3/4 of the way with batter.
- Bake at 350F for 23-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Set aside to cool completely.
- TO MAKE THE FILLING: Make a simple syrup by combining water and sugar in a sauce pan, bringing the mixture to a boil and stirring constantly until the sugar is completely dissolved. Set aside to cool
- Whisk in cocoa powder and whiskey and mix until smooth and creamy
- TO MAKE THE FROSTING: Using an electric mixer, beat together vegan cream cheese alternative, coconut oil and powdered sugar.
- Carefully add cocoa powder and Irish cream, alternating each one, one tablespoon at a time. Refrigerate until ready to use
- TO ASSEMBLE THE CUPCAKES: Using a melon baller, cut out the center of the cupcakes (go about 2/3 of the way down, without cutting the bottom), saving the center pieces
- Fill the cupcakes about 2/3 of the way with chocolate-whiskey filling and top with the reserved center pieces
- Spread or pipe frosting on top and drizzle with leftover chocolate filling
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Frosting