If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Foolproof and delicious. Classic, decadent, rich, and perfectly sweet. Over the years I have tweaked this recipe a bit, its originally from The New York Times Dessert Book. Its the perfect companion frosting on a yellow layer cake. —Camille Becerra
Food52 Review: I love this frosting, Camile Becerra's Classic Chocolate Frosting the perfect hybrid of a classic American buttercream, ganache and a swiss meringue buttercream. Not too sweet, super creamy, spreads like a dream this frosting has it all. The sum of all it's parts yields one of the best chocolate frostings I have had in a long time. The olive oil, butter and egg yolks add richness and keep it supremely spreadable. This is a very adult frosting and this recipe is going to the top of the list of frostings that I will always use. —sdebrango
Serves one 8-inch cake
- 1 pound semi-sweet or dark bitter chocolate
- 2 1/2 sticks of salted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 pinch sea salt
- Chop the chocolate into small pieces and melt gently in a bain marie, stirring frequently. Once all the chocolate is melted, remove from heat and allow to cool completely, stirring here and there while you prepare the remaining recipe.
- In a mixer bowl with a paddle attachment cream one stick of butter, olive oil and cocoa powder on medium speed for 5 minutes until smooth. Add the remaining butter and continue to cream for another 3 minutes.
- Sift in the confectioners sugar and add the vanilla extract. Mix until completely smooth.
- Add the egg yolks one at a time, mixing well before adding the next egg.
- Add the chocolate and sea salt, stir till well combined. Use right away. If making in advance, refrigerate and pull an hour before use, mix with paddle attachment for a couple minutes till smooth.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Frosting
More Great Recipes: