Author Notes: I know everyone loves pecan pie, but for my taste it’s a bit too gooey, sticky and corn-syrupy and could use a few MORE NUTS.
For years my Thanksgiving pie of choice has been this nut-dense, corn syrup-free CANDIED PECAN TART. If you like pecans, it’s one of the best foods on the planet.
And if you don’t like pecans, it’s equally good with walnuts, hazelnuts or a mixture.
I serve it with salted caramel ice cream but vanilla ice cream or just plain whipped cream nothing to sneeze at. —Gail Monaghan
tablespoons unsalted butter
tablespoons light brown sugar
tablespoon sugar plus a pinch of salt
tablespoons heavy cream
pound pecan pieces
9-inch prebaked pie crust (frozen and baked according to package instructions or home-made)
- Preheat the oven to 325F.
- Melt the butter with the sugars and the pinch of salt. Add the honey and cook to 250F on a candy thermometer. Remove from the heat. Add the cream and the nuts. Stir.
- Pour into the tart shell and bake about 20 minutes until the center bubbles.
- Serve warm with salt caramel or vanilla ice cream.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Thanksgiving Pie