Author Notes: ‘mues-ola’ is an ode to both muesli and granola. It’s rustic, crunchy, and holds greater nutritional value than most store bought varieties (many of which contain alarmingly high sugar levels). I have used coconut oil as the nutty taste doesn’t just add great taste, but is a stable oil, with a high smoke point so it doesn’t turn into a nasty transfat while cooking. —amanda james
cups roughly chopped nuts (walnuts, pecans, macadamia etc)
cups shredded or flaked coconut
cup sunflower seeds
tablespoons coconut oil melted
- Preheat oven to 180ºC and line a deep baking dish with grease proof paper
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl, and give a jolly good mix
- Add the melted coconut oil to the dry ingredients, and thoroughly disperse
- Spread the mixture evenly onto your baking tray and place in the oven.
- Check every five minutes and move about the pan to ensure all becomes equally toasted.
- Take it out around the 20-minute mark, but if you like it darker, keep going. Be sure to watch it doesn’t develop/burn too much!
- Cool on the bench, transfer to an airtight container, and then pop into the fridge (the cold storage increases the crunch facto).
More Great Recipes: