If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Apple pie with a tart punch from bouncy cranberries make a wonderful addition to any holiday table. I developed this recipe a few years ago when baking with a good friend and it has turned into one of my most loved desserts. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! —BakerK
- 1 cup Butter, cold and diced
- 3 cups All-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 1/3 cup Ice Water
- 1 Egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons Water
- 1/4 cup Sugar, plus approximately 2 tablespoons for topping
- 3 Large Pink Lady apples
- 2 Large Granny Smith apples
- 3/4 cup Cranberries
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Allspice
- 2 tablespoons All-Purpose flour
- For the Crust: Place diced butter in a bowl and put in the freezer for 15 minutes. In the meantime, combine flour, salt, sugar and zest in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse to combine. Add partially-frozen butter and pulse in short spurts until the most of the butter pieces are the size of a pea. Squish any large butter chunks with your fingers. Transfer the flour mixture to a large bowl and add ice water. Carefully combine until the dough just comes together. Split dough in two and form each half into a disk. Wrap both disks in plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- For the Filling: Peel, core and slice apples. Combine apples and remaining filling ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Generously sprinkle flour on your work surface and rolling pin. Roll one disk of dough out to an 11-inch circle, making sure to rotate the dough frequently to avoid sticking. Gently press dough into a 9-inch pie pan.
- Pile filling into the lined pie pan. Roll out second disk of pie dough similarly to the first. Lay dough on top of the filling, trimming any excess to 1-inch over the sides of the pan. Fold top crust edges under the bottom crust and crimp.
- Combine egg yolk and water in a small bowl. Brush egg wash over the unbaked pie. Sprinkle with sugar. Cut slits in the top of the pie.
- Bake pie for approximately 1 hour, or until the filling starts to bubble through the slits in the top of the pie.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Thanksgiving Pie