Author Notes: If you didn’t grow up with a family recipe for pork chops, well, we’re sorry. Here’s a heart-healthy version with all the elements from our childhoods: pork, apples, red cabbage, and potatoes. Sublime. Baby red potatoes make an excellent side dish. —Susan E. Levy
4-ounce lean pork chops without bone
tablespoon olive oil
small head red cabbage, thinly sliced
cups low-sodium chicken broth
apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- Brown pork chops lightly in hot olive oil, about two minutes each side. Transfer to a plate, set aside.
- Add cabbage, thyme, cider, and broth to pan. Bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce to simmer, stirring occasionally until wilted, 2-3 minutes.
- Add apples in a single layer and top with the pork chops.
- Cover and cook on medium heat until the pork chops are tender but not dry, about 8-10 minutes.
- Per serving: 290 calories, 25 gm protein, 19 gm carbohydrate, 12 gm fat, 3 gm sat fat, 5 gm mono fat, 77 mg cholesterol, 3 gm fiber, 67 mg sodium