Author Notes: I am in love with matcha green tea powder and I think its really important to use high quality matcha (ceremonial grade). This is a light yet satisfying and creamy mousse that can be stored up to 4 days in the fridge. —Lisa Muller
milliliters rice milk
milliliters coconut milk
tablespoons melted cacao butter
cup light honey or maple syrup grade A
teaspoons matcha powder (ceremonial grade)
teaspoon agar agar powder
tablespoon vanilla extract OR
whole vanilla pod
- Heat the coconut milk, 300 ml rice milk with the sweetener of your choice, the scraped vanilla pod and seeds (or extract) and cacao butter in a pot until melted but not cooking.
- In a small bowl put the matcha powder and add a few Tbsp hot but not boiling water. With a bamboo or regular whisk froth the powder with the water for a few seconds until well combined and it starts to foam. Add the mix to the rice milk, stir and pour into a bowl or blender.
- Heat the remaining 100 ml rice milk in the same pot, add salt and the agar while still cold, turn up the heat and let boil for about a minute while stirring constantly.
- Now pour the agar mix either into the bowl and use a hand blender or combine everything in a high speed blender for a few seconds.
- Pour into ramekins, little tea cups or glasses and chill for a few hours.