Author Notes: Calling out all Orange lovers, this recipe is for you! The amazing power a single orange can bring to this roll is way beyond my capacity to describe it. And you can add it to your list of “I can’t stop eating it”.
It's a traditional Portuguese recipe. —Teresa Sousa
orange (juice and zest)
- In a large bowl place the eggs and sugar. Whisk until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the orange juice and grated zest. Whisk heavily.
- Sprinkle the flour. Whisk one more time.
- Butter and flour a jelly roll pan, or you can line the cake pan with parchment (baking paper).
- Pour the mixture into the cake pan.
- Cook in a preheated oven at 400º F for around 20 minutes.
- Take a cocktail stick to poke the top of the cake slightly in the middle. If it is dry the cake is done. Don’t over cook it, otherwise it will break when rolled.
- Let it rest and cool for 5 minutes. Loose the edges of the cake from the pan with a knife.
- Line a kitchen towel over your kitchen counter/table.
- Sprinkle the kitchen towel with sugar (or icing sugar)
- Turn out the cake on top of the towel. Peel the parchment (if you used it).
- With the help of the towel roll the cake.