If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: While on honeymoon in Santorini, I was so inspired by the ingredients they used, their local dishes and their flavour combinations. One of which was the heavenly marriage of feta cheese, tomatoes and capers. It got me thinking about so many different types of recipes, and this particular one was a real success. It is totally fuss free and easy to make, and a real crowd pleaser. This dish is best served as a sharing dish, so plonk it in the middle of the table with some roughly torn crusty bread, and enjoy the relaxed company of your guests with glass of red wine. —Kathryn Morrissey
Sun dried tomato, oregano and thyme paste
- 1 cup sun dried tomatoes (the kind that need to be rehydrated before using)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 8 sprigs thyme, leaves picked and chopped
- 6 sprigs oregano, leaves picked and chopped
- salt and pepper to season
- Rehydrate your sun dried tomatoes by covering with boiling water and leaving to soak for about 20 minutes.
- Drain the sun dried tomatoes and pat dry. Use a hand held blender to blitz the sun dried tomatoes and olive oil to a smooth paste. When ready stir through the herbs and season to taste. (This can also be used as a marinade, spread, dip or to add extra flavour to pasta sauces- it will keep for 2 weeks refrigerated in an airtight jar.)
- Note: If you are using sun dried tomatoes that have been preserved in oil, use the oil from the jar rather than olive oil- it will give added flavour. You may not need the same quantity of oil, so start with a 1/4 cup. You are looking for a thick paste consistency.
- 1 block of feta cheese
- 1 quantity of sun dried, oregano and thyme paste
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1-2 sprigs thyme, leaves picked
- 1 sprig oregano, leaves picked and chopped roughly.
- crusty sourdough bread to serve
- Lay a large piece of baking parchment on a flat surface. Spread 1/4 of the sun dried tomato paste in the centre and place the block of feta cheese on top. Cover with 1/2 the remaining sun dried tomato paste (reserving some for later)
- Sprinkle with the extra herbs and a little olive oil, and wrap well with the baking parchment.
- Bake in a preheated oven (180'C, 350'F, gas mark 4) for 15 minutes.
- When ready , remove from the oven and tear away enough parchment to expose the cheese, making sure there is enough left to hold in all of the juices. Sprinkle with the capers and serve straight away with crusty bread and remaining sun dried tomato paste.