Author Notes: Deliciously warming curry spice adds a hint of heat and Eastern flair to this buttery (but dairy free!) lentil hummus. Lentils make this hummus smooth, velvety, and a bit unexpected from the usual chickpea dip. —Dianna Sinni
Makes 1.5 cups
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/3 cup low sodium vegetable broth or water
- 1 teaspoon kelp granules
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Bring water to a boil in a medium sauce pan and add in the rinsed red lentils and sea salt. Reduce heat to a simmer, cooking for 10 minutes or until water is absorbed and lentils are tender.
- Let the lentils cool slightly before transferring into a food processor. Add in the remaining seasonings, garlic, lemon juice, broth or olive oil. Process until fully incorporated and smooth. Taste and add additional liquid, sea salt or kelp granules, if necessary to achieve desired consistency and taste. Enjoy right away with vegetables, whole grain crackers, or as a spread on a toasted sandwich.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Hors d'Oeuvre