If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I learned this from my mother who got this from her mother. This might seem weird but you will end up with some great tacos. This recipe is pretty darn flexible, add more or less potato, add more or less cumin or use taco seasoning, different salsa or hot sauce to serve, or even add more toppings! You can't go wrong with more toppings.
This is one of those meals that gets even better the next day. Just reheat a bit in a soft flour tortilla with some cheese and salsa (we prefer Cholula).
Some tips: Cut the potatoes so they will cook quickly but not so small that they will fall apart.
Keep adding cumin until it tastes delicious. —M.McAwesome
- 1 pound Ground beef
- 1 russet potato (peeled & cut into smallish cubes)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tomato
- some water
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- hard shell tacos
- Various toppings:
- Grated cheese
- hot sauce or salsa
- Brown the meat over medium high heat. If your meat is particularly fatty, make sure you drain off the excess fat.
- Once it is cooked or nearly cooked add the cumin, potatoes, and tomatoes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in a splash of water and cover. The steam will help cook the potatoes. Turn down the heat a little so it does not burn. Stir occasionally to keep the bottom from sticking or burning.
- Cook until the potatos are cooked through.
- Heat up your taco shells however you like (if you don't they will just break) then fill with a spoonful or two of the ground beef mixture. Then top with you favorite taco toppings!