If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Tart and sweet berry pie with a crust that literally says it all. —Tessa Huff
- 1 recipe basic pie dough
- 3 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 1/2 cups frozen blueberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 vanilla bean- seeds scraped out
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1 egg
- Combine all of the ingredients (minus the pie crust and egg) in a medium saucepan over medium high heat.
- Heat until the mixture starts to boil, stirring occasionally. Continue to boil about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat to let cool or transfer into a heat-safe container and refrigerate.
- While filling cools, prepare your pie dough.
- For the top, make a template out of parchment paper for your chosen phrase.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Roll out half of pie dough and fit into the bottom of a pie pan and trim.
- Fill bottom pie shell with cooled berry mixture. Refrigerate while you work on the top crust.
- Carefully and quickly, working on a cool work surface, roll out your second pie crust and cut out the letters from your template.
- Using a large off-set spatula, carefully transfer the "letters" on top of your pie filling.
- Use the remaining dough to create a decorative boarder of fall leaves, a braided trim, etc.
- Mix in a bit of water with the egg to create a wash. Brush over the pie crust.
- Place pie pan on a rimmed baking sheet and bake in the oven until crust is golden and filling is bubbly (about 50-65 minutes).
More Great Recipes:
Pies & Tarts