If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Greek traditional honey cookies for Christmas season —Lena Grp
Makes about 65 pieces
for the cookies
- 2 cups olive or vegetable oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 cups all purpose flour (about)
- 1,5 cups chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon clove (powder)
for the syrup
- 1.5 cups water
- 1,5 cups honey
- 1,5 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a big bowl mix oil, sugar, orange juice, brandy, walnuts, cinnamon, clove, orange zest and baking powder.
- Add flour little by little and knead lightly until you have a moderate/soft dough. Preheat the oven to 360° F or 175° C.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (usually for this amount of dough 2 baking sheets needed}. Take a small amount of dough (about the size of a big walnut) and shape it into a small like half moon or oval cookie (about 2,5 inches - 6 cm long, 1 inch - 2,5 cm wide and 3/4 inch - 1,5 cm high). Place the cookies on the baking sheet not too close to each other, because they are going to increase their volume.
- Bake for about 25’-30' until golden brown. Let melomakarona cool.
- In a small saucepan add honey, sugar, water, lemon juice and boil over low/medium heat for 8’. During the boiling of the syrup remove any foam that usually honey produces.
- Pour the hot syrup spoonful by spoonful over melomakarona. Turn them upside down to allow them absorb syrup both sides.
More Great Recipes: