Author Notes: This is the recipe I grew up with...it's a nice moist meatloaf (nothing dry here!) with the MOST delicious sweet and sour tomato sauce. It's the ultimate comfort food, especially when served with mashed potatoes! —amybroun
- 1.25-1.5 pounds ground beef, veal or turkey
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- dash pepper
- 2 cups your favorite jarred tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 350
- Mix together meat, bread crumbs, onion, egg, seasonings, and 1/2 cup of the tomato sauce.
- Form into a loaf and put into pan (a 9x5 loaf pan works best but make sure it is big enough to hold all the sauce, as it will bubble up).
- Combine rest of tomato sauce, brown sugar, mustard, vinegar, and worcestershire sauce. Pour over meat loaf.
- Bake for 1 hr 15 min, basting occasionally with sauce.
- Remove to serving plate. Slice and serve. Pass sauce from pan on the side!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Family Recipe