If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My family has been drinking Tom and Jerry for five generations. —Sarah Elton
Makes enough for a party
teaspoon powdered cloves
pound powdered sugar, or as much as you need
Fresh nutmeg for grating
To spike your drink
cup light rum
cup dark rum
- Separate egg whites from yolks and set aside the yolks. In a medium bowl, whip egg whites until firm and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks. Add cloves, nutmeg and cinnamon and blend well.
- Beat in as much powdered sugar as possible until your mixture is almost too stiff to beat.
- Fold in the beaten egg whites until well combined.
- Combine the three spirits in a carafe.
- Assemble the cocktail when your guests arrive. Heat some full fat milk on the stove until scalding hot (in my family they say the hot milk cooks the raw egg but I'm not so sure of that). You know your milk is hot enough if it develops a thick skin. In my family, we consider the skin to be a delicacy and almost fight to be the one to eat it.
- Spoon about two tablespoonfuls of batter into a mug. If you want to spike your drink, add about an ounce of the spirit mixture. Then pour the scalding milk over the batter and stir well.
- Garnish with freshly grated nutmeg.