Author Notes: Whether they’re part of a holiday brunch menu or reheated from a batch you made ahead for a quick, kid friendly breakfast, French toast recipes are one of the more scrumptious ways to start the day. My first encounter with such was on a family vacation to Disney World, we had banana stuffed french toast which was to die for! There are many variations of french toast but personally my favorite is the Overnight Stuffed French Toast with Strawberries and Cream. Over the years I have tried many varieties using gluten free breads, non dairy milk and different types of fruits and this one is by far my favorite. Through trial and error I have discovered that the best gluten free bread for stuffed french toast is English Muffins such as the ones made by "Kinnikinnick" or "Foods by George". They are both dense enough to soak up the egg mixture and thick enough to stuff nicely. This is a perfect make ahead dish for a Holiday Brunch! For certain it will be a welcomed addition to my New Year's Day Brunch! For more go to simply123allergyfree.blogspot.com —simply 123 allergy free
ounces tub of Daiya strawberry cream cheese non dairy alternative (This is gluten, soy and dairy free.)
tablespoons strawberry preserves
gluten free unsliced English Muffins
cup of your favorite vanilla flavored non dairy milk (chilled)
teaspoon vanilla extract
strawberries and powdered sugar for garnishing
- Grease a 9x13 glass baking dish and set aside.
- In a small bowl beat together the preserves, cream cheese alternative and the nutmeg.
- Slice the English Muffins in half vertically. With a spoon carefully scoop out a moon shaped piece of the bread to form a pocket for the cream cheese filling. Stuff a generous amount of filling into each pocket. Place the eight halves in the prepared baking dish.
- In a separate bowl beat together the egg, non dairy milk and vanilla. Pour the egg mixture over the English Muffins, making sure to cover completely. Cover the dish with plastic wrap or foil and refrigerate overnight.
- The next morning/day bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 35 minute.
- Serve with strawberries, powdered sugar and maple syrup.