If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Adapted from what I was told was Katherine Hepburn's recipe. Mexican spices are optional but make a delicious and surprising variation.
Makes 16 2-in brownies
- 4 ounces butter
- 2 ounces unsweetened baker's chocolate
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 2 or 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- powdered sugar (optional)
- preheat oven to 325
- melt chocolate and butter together
- using hand-held electric mixer, beat in eggs, vanilla, almond extract, coffee, sugar, cocoa and seasonings til they are well mixed and cocoa is absorbed.
- mix in flour and nuts
- pour into 8 inch square pan and bake at 325 for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick or cake tester inserted in center will still show some moisture but top will look dry.
- cool on rack. sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired and cut into squares.