Author Notes: My elementary school served Sloppy Joes on Thursdays and my brother and I just loved them. It took our mother a few years to achieve the recipe at home but once she had it, these were a family treat until we had all left home for college. Not exactly health food, my Mom served them only on occasional Thursday nights and always as a surprise. —chris
Serves 6 - 8
- 1.5 pounds ground chuck or ground round
- 1.5 large brown or yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 Large Can Campbell's Tomato Soup
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 6 - 8 hamburger buns with sesame seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- In large saute pan, brown meat and drain off fat.
- Add chopped onion to meat and mix lightly.
- Sprinkle garlic salt and orgeano and basil across meat onion mix.
- Stir in canned soup and sugar.
- Bring mixture to boil; reduce heat and simmer until sauce is reduced and thickened (will not pour).
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Family Recipe